Before declaring the Spanish minor, students must complete four Spanish language courses in order to gain indispensable skills to effectively read, write, and discuss in a foreign language. Students with previous Spanish experience are encouraged to take a placement exam. Students must earn a grade of B+ or higher in SPAN 0004 to declare this minor.
For the most current course requirements, please refer to the Dietrich School of Arts & Sciences Undergraduate Studies Department's program requirements sheet for the Spanish major, Spanish minor, and Hispanic Language and Culture minor. Please contact an HLL advisor regarding requirements for students with enrollment dates prior to recent course registration policy revisions (the revision date is noted on the program sheet).
- SPAN 0120 - CONVERSATION
- Either SPAN 0125 - GRAMMAR AND COMPOSITION or SPAN 0126 - SPANISH ADVANCED GRAMMAR AND COMPOSITION FOR HERITAGE SPEAKERS
- SPAN 1250 - HISPANIC CIVILIZATIONS
And one of the following courses.
- SPAN 1055 - INTRODUCTION HISPANIC LITERATURE 1
- SPAN 1056 - READING, WRITING, & HEALTH IN SPANISH
- SPAN 1260 - OVERVIEW OF SPANISH LITERATURE
- SPAN 1280 - OVERVIEW OF LATIN AMERICAN LIT
Two of the Following Courses
- Any SPAN 1400-level course
- Any SPAN 1600-level course
- Any SPAN 1700-level course