- Founding member, Graduate Program in Cultural Studies at the University of Pittsburgh. Founding member, Latin American Subaltern Studies Group
- Editorial Boards: University of Pittsburgh Press, boundary 2, PMLA (1994-1998), Estudios, Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies etc.
- Editorial consultant for University of Minnesota and Duke University presses. Coeditor, University of Pittsburgh Press book series Illuminations: Cultural Formations of the Americas.
- Visiting professor at Stanford University, University of California–San Diego, Universidad Andina Simon Bolivar, University of Minnesota, University of Washington.
- PhD, University of California at San Diego
- "The Impossibility of Politics: Subalternity, Modernity, Hegemony", in Ileana Rodríguez ed. The Latin American Subaltern Studies Reader (2001)
- "What Happens When the Subaltern Speaks? Rigoberta Menchu, Multiculturalism, and the 'Presumption of Equal Worth'," in Arturo Arias ed. The Power of Words: A Reader on the Stoll-Menchu Debate (1999)
- "Theses on subalternity, representation, and politics," Postcolonial Studies 1/3 (1998)
- (ed.) From Cuba (2002)
- (ed.) La voz del otro: Testimonio, subalternidad y verdad narrativa (new edition; 2002)
- Subalternity and Representation, Arguments in Cultural Theory (1999)
- Una modernidad obsoleta: estudios sobre el barroco (1998)
- Against Literature (1993).
Areas of Specialization
Golden Age, Hispanic and Latin American baroque, Latin American cultural studies, Testimonio, Spanish and Latin American film, U.S. Latino literature, postcolonial and subaltern studies