Aurea María Sotomayor joined the University of Pittsburgh in 2011, after a long career as a professor in the University of Puerto Rico. She is Professor in the Department of Hispanic Languages and Literature, the Program of Gender and Women Studies, and Cultural Studies in the University of Pittsburgh. She is one of the most prolific poetic voices from the 70’s Promotion in Puerto Rico and her work has been included in many anthologies in Latin America and her own country. As a poet, she has published the books Sitios de la memoria, La gula de la tinta, Rizoma, Diseño del ala, Cuerpo nuestro and Artes poéticas, among others. She was also co-founder of the cultural, literary and post-modern theory oriented journals Postdata, Nómada and Hotel Abismo in Puerto Rico. Her research concentrates in four main areas: Latin American poetry and poetics, Law, Justice and Human Rights in a literary context, Caribbean and Environmental Poetics, and Gender and Women’s Literature. She has translated Derek Walcott’s The Bounty, and has published two anthologies: De lengua razón y cuerpo (1987) on nine contemporary women poets and Red de voces (2011). She is affiliated with the Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) in the University of Pittsburgh.
- Juris Doctor, School of Law, University of Puerto Rico
- PhD, Stanford University, California
- MA, Indiana University. Bloomington
- BA, University of Puerto Rico
- “Cuando los lugares dirimidos hablan: precariedad en la obra de Carmen Berenguer, Gabriela Cabezón Cámara, Diamela Eltit y Samanta Schweblin.” Kipus. Revista Andina de Letras y Estudios Culturales, October 28, 2020. https://doi.org/10.32719/13900102.2020.48.4.
- Textualidades de Eduardo Lalo (El nómada enamorado del nomos). Universidad de La Plata, Argentina, 2020.
- Jose María Lima Poetry and Poetics. Traditions and Company. Pittsburgh: IILI, 2012.
- Red de voces. Poesía puertorriqueña contemporánea. (A Network of Voices: Contemporary Puerto Rican Poetry). La Habana, Cuba: Casa de las Américas.
- La providencia, translation of Derek Walcott’s book, The Bounty, San Juan: Editorial Fragmento Imán, 2010.
- Femina Faber. Letras, música, ley [Femina Faber: Literature, Music and Law]. San Juan: Ediciones Callejón, 2005.
- Hilo de Aracne. Literatura puertorriqueña hoy. San Juan: University of Puerto Rico Press, 1994.